Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 5 major symptoms of schizophrenia?
What are the first symptoms of schizophrenia?
- Changes in school or work performance
- Social withdrawal
- Irritability and mood swings
- Difficulty focusing
- Difficulty sleeping
What are the positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia?
“Negative” symptoms are the absence of typical behaviors. “Positive” symptoms of schizophrenia aren’t typical in individuals without schizophrenia or other types of severe mental illness. These behaviors include: Hallucinations. Hallucinations are experiences that appear real but are created by your mind.
Which would be considered a positive symptom of schizophrenia?
What are positive symptoms of schizophrenia?
- Hallucinations. People with schizophrenia might hear, see, smell, or feel things no one else does.
- Confused thoughts and disorganized speech.
- Trouble concentrating.
- Movement disorders.
What are the early warning signs of schizophrenia?
The most common early warning signs include:
- Depression, social withdrawal
- Hostility or suspiciousness, extreme reaction to criticism
- Deterioration of personal hygiene
- Flat, expressionless gaze
- Inability to cry or express joy or inappropriate laughter or crying
- Oversleeping or insomnia; forgetful, unable to concentrate
- Odd or irrational statements; strange use of words or way of speaking